Keep drapes and blinds shut - especially in rooms where there is expensive equipment. Don't advertise
the items in your home. By investing in a home security system and following home safety tips like this, you can help protect your investments, even when you're not there.
Store cash, jewelry and other valuables in a safe
or safety deposit box instead of leaving them lying around the home. Helping protect your investments and furnishing your home with a security system can help lower your risk of a home invasion or burglary.
Don't leave notes on the door
for service people or family members when you're not there. These alert the burglar that you are not home. It's also important to remember to arm your system every time you leave your house to ensure your home, pets and valuables are safe.
Adjust your telephone ring
to its lowest volume setting, if you're going to be away from home for a few days. An unanswered phone may tip off a burglar that no one is home. Also, have a neighbor or friend collect your newspaper and mail. Never cancel delivery - you don't know who will get that information. When you have ADT Pulse®, you can also check in on your home using your cellphone or laptop even when you're not there.
When buying, building or renovating
your home, make sure all roofing materials are fire resistant.
Never leave candles
or other open flames burning unattended.
Douse cigarette and cigar butts
with water before dumping them in the trash. By following safety tips at home like this and having home security, you can help protect your investments and add value to your home.
Don't leave hot irons, or burning stovetops and outdoor grills unattended while in use. Double-check that you've turned them off
after use. Having added protection like carbon monoxide detectors or smoke and heat sensors can also help you protect your home and loved ones from fire.
Regularly clear and dispose of dry or dead vegetation in your yard or areas near your home. Following a home safety tip such as this one more frequently during hot, dry months can also help you thoroughly protect you home from fire.
Make sure the lid stays on your trash can, and store firewood and other combustibles
away from your home.
Install smoke alarms
on every level of your home. For the best detection and notification protection, install both ionization and photoelectric-type smoke alarms. Put them inside or near every bedroom. Test them monthly to make sure they work and replace the batteries once a year. Safeguarding your home with heat and smoke sensors can give your home an added layer of protection.
Don't have deadbolts that lock with an inside key. You need to get out fast if a fire starts. A missing key could trap you inside. Also, don't nail windows shut. Make sure they open easily.
Make a fire escape plan
for your family. Find two exits out of every room. Pick a meeting place outside. Practice makes perfect - hold a family fire drill at least twice each year. Making sure your entire family is aware of your fire escape plan and knows how to properly operate your home security system is imperative to having the best home security possible.
Be sure your street address is visibly posted
so that firefighters can identify your home in the event of an emergency.
Top 5 reasons to have a home security system
There are multiple reasons to furnish your home with an ADT monitored home security system. Whether you have a growing family you want to help monitor or an elderly loved one living with you who needs extra assistance – there are countless reasons and numerous benefits that come with having home security. Why should you get a home security system? Consider the risks of not having one. Investments such as your home, valuables or even your family could be at risk if they aren’t protected. Discover why you should help protect the people and things you value most with ADT.
Added protection against multiple dangers
– In addition to burglary, a home security system can help protect you from threats such as fire, carbon monoxide, flooding and freezing when you have equipment like smoke, heat and water sensors. It can also help better prepare you to handle medical emergencies, should one ever occur at your home with features like emergency medical notification. Don’t be without defense against unexpected dangers, get an ADT monitored home security system to reduce your risk from these hazards.
Fast alarm response and complete coverage
– A reliable home security provider and dependable coverage during a home emergency are critically important to ensuring the safety of your loved ones and home. When you have home security and monitoring with ADT, you’ll be closely watched by ADT’s eight interconnected monitoring centers that act on more than 29 million alarm signals each year. When your motion detector triggers the alarm, rest assured someone at the monitoring center will immediately be notified and can help you handle your situation. Without home security monitoring, no one may know of an emergency taking place at your residence.
– A highly-trained staff of security professionals provide constant surveillance to your home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Even when you can’t be there, someone is always watching over your home. And with technology like ADT Pulse®, you can even keep an eye on things using wireless mobile technology such as your smartphone or laptop computer. The Pulse® feature allows you to easily check in and monitor your home from afar and receive security updates and alerts through emails and text messages.
A home security system that’s easy to operate
– A home security system is only effective if you know how to properly use it. During the installation process, your installation technician will guide you through how to use each feature of your system, taking extra care to make sure you feel comfortable using it. Easy one-touch access on your digital keypad and wireless remote keychain give you – and anyone in your home – the ability to easily and effortlessly control your home security system.
Affordable monthly monitoring
– Home security costs don’t have to stretch your budget. For about a dollar a day you can have quality home security services and monitoring from the #1 home security provider in America. There’s no price you could put on your family’s safety or the peace of mind you’ll have knowing your home is protected. Learn more about why you should get a home security system and follow these home safety tips for added protection and to help keep your risk of multiple threats down. Call 1-951-699-0990
For more valuable home safety tips, visit the following websites:
Home Safety Council
National Safety Council